ABSU Admission Requirements and Courses Offered – Do you want to Study at Abia State University, and you are disturbed because you don’t know the requirement or the courses the school offer? But don’t worry anymore, because in this article we are going to provide all the requirements you need to know before you can apply.
We will also explain to you all the courses that the school offers. It is important as a student for you to know all the requirements of your prospective university.
Overview of Abia State University
Abia State University, Uturu, was established in 1981. It was established by Sam Mbakwe, former Governor of the old Imo State, under the
name, Imo State University, Etiti.
However, after the creation of Abia State in 1991, the Uturu campus of the University was carved into Abia State and is now owned and called Abia State University Uturu, Isuikwuato Local Government Area, Abia State.
The Abia State University ( ABSU) offers many degree programs such as undergraduate, graduate, and doctorate degrees. It has two campuses: the Uturu campus, and the Umuahia town campus which houses the College of Agriculture, College of Law, and Veterinary Medicine.
The University runs a comprehensive entrepreneurship/skill acquisition program to actualize the University’s slogan of one student’s two skills. Located in the Igbo heartland where skill acquisition and entrepreneurship are the main focus of the people in that environment.
The University’s academic plan is structured to act as the backbone in the realization of the entrepreneurship drive of the people; hence,
The University encompasses peaceful and functional social infrastructures that portray the creative, hard work, and competitive spirit of the people and students of the university.
Abia State University Admission Requirements
There are two entry categories for gaining admission into an Undergraduate program at ABSU. They are The UTME Entry and the Direct Entry.
UTME Entry Admission requirements
- Students must have reached 16 years of age and above
- Candidates must have at least five (5) Credits grades in their O’level result (s), either in WAEC or NECO.Including English Language, Mathematics, and three other relevant subjects related to their course of studies. For instance, prospective Law students must have a Credit in English Language, Mathematics, Literature in English, Government or History, and Economics. Such candidates must also score at least 180 and above in the JAMB examination to be considered for admission to ABSU.
- The candidates must also take part in the ABSU post-UTME screening exercise and must perform excellently well on the examination, all depending on the choice of course.
- The student’s WAEC or NECO should not be more than one sitting result. ABSU does not accept any result in more than one sitting.
- students must be careful to choose the correct subject combination for their courses.
- Also, candidates must meet the required cut-off mark for the courses he/she intends to study at the university.
Direct Entry Admission requirements
- Candidates must have at least five (5) Credits grades in their O’level result (s), either in WAEC or NECO.Including English Language, Mathematics, and three other relevant subjects related to their course of studies.
- Students must have reached 16 years of age and above
- Direct Entry students must purchase the Direct Entry form through the Joint Admission and Board (JAMB) or ABSU’s official website.
- Candidate must that he/she choose the correct JAMB subject combination for the required course of study in the university.
- You must make ABSU your first choice of institution.
- Only those who participate in the ABSU Screening screening exercise will be considered for admission.
- Only First Class degree Second Class, and Upper credit in related fields, will be considered by ABSU.
- ABSU also accepts a minimum of Pass in the National Diploma (ND), National Certificate of Education (NCE), and other Advanced Level Certificates depending on the course.
- ABSU can also accept JUPEB and IJMB A’level results in some cases, but your result must be outstanding.
List of Courses Offered by ABSU
Below is the list of courses offered by Abia State University, (ABSU).
Candidates seeking admission into the Abia State University, Uturu should take note of these courses.
- Agric-Economic and Extension
- Agricultural Science and Education
- Animal Science and Fisheries
- Banking and Finance
- Information and Communication Technology
- Language and Literature
- Library and Information Science
- Linguistics and Communication Studies
- Mass Communication
- Mechanical Engineering
- Medical Laboratory Science
- Medicine and Surgery
- Nursing/Nursing Science
- Education Accounting
- Education and Biology
- Education and Chemistry
- Education and Government
- Education and Integrated Science
- Education and Mathematics
- Education and Physics
- Education and Political Science
- Education and Social Studies
- Educationucation/Fine Art
- Plant Science and Biotechnology
- Political Science
- Public Health
- Pure And Industrial Physics
- Religious Studies
- Soil Science
- Surveying And GeoInformatic
- Urban And Regional Planning
- Building Technology
- Business Administration
- Business Education
- Chemistry and Industrial Chemistry
- Civil Engineering
- Computer Engineering
- Computer Science
- Crop Production and Protectionrotection
- Educational Management and Planning
- Electrical/Electronics Engineering
- English Language and Literature
- Environmental Resources Management
- Environmental Science
- Estate Management
- Fine and Applied Arts
- Food Science and Technology
- Geography and Planning
- Government and Public Administration
- Guidance and Counsellor
- History and International Studies
- Home Economics and Education
Frequently Asked Questions About ABSU
What is the ABSU cut-off mark for 2023?
For you to be eligible to write ABSU post UTME screening exercise, candidates must score up to 180 and above in the Joint Admission and Matriculation Board (JAMB)
Does ABSU conduct post-UTME exercises?
Yes, the management of Abia State University (ABSU), like many other tertiary institutions writes post-UTME, before offering admission to their prospective students.
Is ABSU competitive in terms of admission?
Gaining admission into ABSU is competitive, though not in all the courses. There are some courses like Law, accounting, Engineering, and others in the university that are highly competitive.
Which courses are the less competitive courses in ABSU?
The list of less competitive courses offered at ABSU is numerous, but the few ones among them are as follows: History, Geography, Geology, Chemistry, and Education.
The aforementioned are the necessary requirements that you need if you choose ABSU as your choice of institution. We have also listed the courses offered by ABSU for you.