The University which went on to be later known as the Joseph Sarwuan Tarkaa University (JOSTUM) was founded on 1st January 1988 and had come as a spin-off from the defunct Federal University of Technology.
The Federal University of Technology was created in 1980 but later came to be known as the Makurdi campus of the University of Jos in October 1980.
It wasn’t until 14th July 2019 that the Nigerian President, Muhammadu Buhari consented to a bill renaming the institution to “Joseph Sarwuan Tarka University”.
The university’s core binding philosophy is to be a center of access to scientific agriculture which has been difficult to access, especially for the average rural farmers of the region.
The students from the university also went on to be extension officers and solution providers for the agricultural challenges of the region by implementing the most efficient agricultural practices.
The current vice chancellor of the University is Professor Anande Richard Kimbir while the University’s registrar is Dr. Hellen Nyits
The Federal University of Agriculture Makurdi Admission Requirements And List Of All Courses Offered
Are you currently considering enrolling in an academic program at FUAM but are not sure what programs you can choose from?
Maybe you would just want to know about the courses that are currently offered at the university?
Continue reading so that you will be updated as we are putting up a list of all the offered courses at the Federal University of Agriculture, Makurdi.
Later on in the article, we still talk about the Admissions requirements you must meet if you want to study at the university.
Courses & Programmes Offered by The Federal University of Agriculture Makurdi (FUAM)
Below listed are all the Courses offered by FUAM
- Agric-Economics And Extension
- Agric-Economics And Management Technology
- Agric. Business
- Agricultural Engineering
- Agricultural Science And Education
- Animal Science
- Civil Engineering
- Computer Science
- Crop Production
- Crop And Environmental Protection
- Education And Biology
- Education And Chemistry
- Education And Integrated Science:
- Education And Physics
- Electrical/Electronics Engineering
- Entrepreneurial Studies
- Fisheries And Aquaculture
- Food Science And Technology
- Forestry And Wildlife Management:
- Home Economics
- Home Science And Management
- Industrial Physics
- Mathematics /Statistics Education
- Mathematics/Computer Science Education
- Mechanical Engineering
- Plant Breeding And Seed Science
- Soil Science
- Statistics Education
- Statistics/Computer Science Education
- Veterinary Medicine
Admission Requirements For Admission Into FUAM
All applicants that want to pursue any of the above listed Academic programs must ensure that they meet the following sets of eligibility criteria laid out by the university management.
These requirements are for both UTME candidates and Applicants that seek admission through Direct Entry.
For those seeking Admission to FUAM through JAMB UTME:
- Prospective candidates must possess a minimum of 5 O’Level Credits (SSCE/GCE) that were obtained in no more than two sittings.
- Ensure that you select the correct course combination for your intended course of study during JAMB UTME Registration as not doing so may result in disqualification.
- Candidates must have obtained a minimum score of 180 in the just concluded JAMB UTME Exams to be considered for Admission to the University. However, there are certain departments that require higher cut-off points like the Department of Veterinary Medicine which has a cut-off point of 250
- All Candidates to be considered for admission at the university must have registered FUAM, as their first-choice Institution
- Prospective Candidates must duly undergo the FUAM Post-UTME Screening Exercise in order to be considered eligible for admission into the University.
- All Applicants must be at least 16 years at the time of admission application.
If you meet the above-listed requirements, then you are eligible to apply for any of the academic programs available at the university provided you meet the university’s official cut-off point.
For Direct Entry (DE) 2023/2024 Students
Are you one of the candidates looking to pursue an academic program at the Federal University of Agriculture, Makurdi but wish to be admitted through Direct Entry?
These are the requirements that you must meet to be found eligible for admission at the institution:
- All candidates that intend to be admitted at the university through DE must have obtained a minimum of 5 O’Level Credits (SSCE/GCE), in no more than two sittings.
- Candidates that wish to be admitted into this institution through Direct entry must have passed two IJMB/’A’ Level Subjects. However, the subjects in question must be closely related to the intended course of study.
- Applicants that wish to be admitted through JUPEB, must have obtained passes in JUPEB/A subjects related to the intended field of Study to be considered for Admission into the Institution.
- All applicants must also have purchased the FUAM Direct Entry Form from JAMB. They also must have been duly registered and made all requisite payments on the FUAM Portal.
- Prospective Candidates must have passed the National Certificate of Education (NCE), National Diploma, or any other Advanced Certificate with a minimum of a merit pass
Candidates that meet the requirements and would love to be admitted at the Federal University of Agriculture, Makurdi through Direct Entry can go ahead and apply for a chance to complete any of the academic programs open at the university.
Frequently Asked Questions About FUAM
Is FUAM conducting Post-UTME Screening in 2023?
The Federal University of Agriculture Makurdi shall conduct Post-UTME Screening Exercise to screen and subsequently admit qualified Candidates as it usually does.
The Screening form goes for a non-refundable fee of N2,000
Does FUAM accept second choice Admission Applications?
The Federal University of Agriculture insists to be added as a first-choice institution if candidates must be found eligible to pursue an academic program at the institution.
If you have not added this institution as your first choice institution of study, then you shall have to change it by duly applying for a change of course.
What is the cost of Acceptance Fees in FUAM?
The Federal University of Agriculture, Makurdi has made known the cost of their acceptance fee for the newly admitted students at the university.
The cost of this fee is N30,000 and applies only to newly admitted students (100L) at the university.
Does FUAM offer Veterinary Surgery?
At the Federal University of Agriculture, Makurdi, Veterinary Medicine is one of the offered academic programs.
However, to be eligible to be admitted for this course, you need to perform well in your Post-UTME screening.
What is the Cost of Hostel Fees in FUAM?
You can stay at FUAM’s Hostel during the period of your Academic program but that comes at a cost.
All students who wish to stay at the hostel must pay between N30,000 to N45,000 as hostel fees.