Do you know why you cannot do without the National Identification Number, NIN in Nigeria? Here in this article, we will bring to you everything you need to know about NIN both its usefulness and how to apply for National Identification Number (NIN) from the pre-enrolment to the NIMC center.
A citizen or legal resident of Nigeria is individually identified by their 11-digit National Identification Number (NIN). As everyone was required to register with the National Identity Database, this system was implemented to reduce fraud across the country (NIDB).
A NIN is unique in that once it is assigned to a person, it cannot be changed, given to, or used by anyone else, and can be only retired when an individual’s demise is confirmed through a death certificate of that person
The authentication of an individual’s identification and linking of all records about that person is done by using NIN in the database. All Nigerian citizens and residents who are over the age of 0 (birth) are eligible to register for NINs.
Why National Identification Number (NIN) is Important?
A National Identification Number (NIN), a unique number that acts as your permanent identification, is given to you by NIMC after you enroll. It is used to match you up with your biometric data and other data in the National Identity Database during verification and authentication.
All transactions in Nigeria that require identity verification are done through the use of your NIN, However, the following are some of the things that will require your NIN to be carried out;
- When obtaining your National e-ID card
- traveling (i.e acquisition of an international passport and application )
- payment of taxes
- On opening your personal bank accounts
- getting your driver’s license
- All land deals that are subject to the Land Use Act
- On registration of the National Health Insurance Scheme
- transactions with social security implications
- transactions related to your contributory pension scheme
- access to government programs for welfare and other pertinent services in Nigeria
- obtaining your Permanent Voters’ Card
- any more transactions that NIMC may specify and publish in the Federal Government Gazette
To ensure effective coordination of activities, NIMC is working with numerous agencies across Nigeria that deal with the aforementioned services to harmonize and integrate data.
Documents Needed for The Application of National Identification Number (NIN)
Visit the NIMC enrolment center of your location with the following documents to apply for your National Identification Number (NIN);
- Old National ID card (If any)
- Driver’s License
- Temporary or permanent voter’s card
- National International Passport
- Certificate of Origin
- Attestation letter from a religious or a prominent ruler in your community
- Age declaration/Birth Certificate
- NHIS ID card
- Government staff ID card
- Staff ID card from a registered/recognized private organization
- School ID card (private or public)
- Valid Immigration documents
- Tax clearance certificate
The aforementioned documents should be valid, no registration will be carried out if the required documents are not presented.
Application Procedures for a National Identification Number (NIN)
The following elements are used to cross-check the National Identity Database’s current data to ensure that identical information has not already been entered.
- A person’s demographic information,
- Ten (10) fingerprints,
- Head-to-shoulder photo, and
- Digital signatures are all recorded during NIN Enrolment.
If you’ve been wondering how to apply for a National Identification Number, the first thing you need to do is to go to the NIMC Pre-Enrolment Portal and follow the steps there. Please be aware that applicants needing help filling out the enrollment form can visit the enrollment center, where a support officer will help them enter the necessary information on the enrollment form accurately.
The Procedures for a National Identification Number (NIN) Application
To fill out the pre-enrolment form
- Log in to the NIMC official pre-enrolment website: https://nimc.gov.ng/
- Fill out the NIMC pre-enrolment form
- Complete the mandatory field with your correct data
- Double-check when done for errors rectification
- Download and print your original pre-enrolment slip
To submit your form
- Visit the NIMC registration center of your location with the above-listed documents
- At the NIMC registration center, your pre-enrolment form will be verified by an enrolment officer together with compliance with the required documents for your successful application.
- After your documents are verified, the enrolment officer will direct you to proceed with the biometrics capturing (ten fingerprints and facial images). Thereafter, the Transaction ID slip will be given as evidence of the transaction.
All applicants who cannot read or write should be supervised by a literate person, while minors should visit the center with their parents or guardians in order to help with the filling and completion of the form with the applicant’s personal information.
In addition, all minor applicants are to bring only a valid birth certificate and NIN slip from one of their guardians to aid in the completion of the registration.
- The National Identification Number will be issued from 2 to 3 days counting from the date of completion of the NIMC enrolment. Applicants can visit their NIMC enrolment center where they registered for the collection.
- The date for the issuance of NIN may prolong due to the data validation from the NIMC.
- Applicants should present the transaction ID that was given to them after registration to be able to collect their NIN.
- Most Expensive Universities in Nigeria (2023 Ranking)
- Top 18 English Proficiency Test Exams for Study and Recruitments
- NYSC Mobilization Timetable 2023/2024
In conclusion, all citizens should know that NIN is one of the vital documents to acquire, which is why you should know how to apply for a National Identification Number. In this article, we have been able to elaborate on the steps you need to know on how to apply for your national identification number(NIN), if this helps do well to bookmark this page for more related topics. Thanks
Can I Get My NIN number online?
Visit www.nimc.gov.ng to download your enrollment form online. To receive the National Identification Number, complete all paperwork in block letters and head to the nearest enrollment center for biometrics collection (NIN). Note: The NIMC’S ERC also has enrollment forms available.
Am I able to register my NIN on my own?
Even if you can register for your NIN online, this is more of a pre-registration than a real registration. To apply for your NIN, you must do so via the NIMC pre-enrolment portal and adhere to the given requirements. Additionally, you can go straight to the pre-enrolment site from here.https://nimc.gov.ng/preenrolment-online/
How much does NIN registration cost?
Normally, the cost of registering your NIN is absolutely free. But it happens that unaccredited agents affix themselves to those who are accredited and demand verification and processing fees as high as N3,000 and N5,000.
Exactly which bank registers NINs?
The general public can now enroll in a National Identity Number (Zenith and Non-Zenith customers).
When will I receive my NIN?
From the time the biometric information is collected at the enrollment center, it typically takes 2 to 3 working days for the National Identification Number (NIN) Slip to be issued.
Taking an instance when I wanted to get my NIN, it’s take a longer period of about 2-3 weeks before I got it, and the operators said it was due to the verification of information at NIMC.
However, it does longer or shorter periods in some cases.